Sunday, August 5, 2007

Putting the "Rock" in Rock Creek

Without Greg's sweet mapping watch, I can't post a map or accurate times, or anything all that cool, but the First Trinity runners were at it again this weekend. We were a smaller group, with many members off on vacation (hopefully still training) but Pastor Wendy, Kent, and myself (KJ) tore up the paths of Rock Creek park on Saturday morning. Saturday was a scorcher, but the morning actually started out as a pretty pleasant day for a run. We started at picnic area #6 and headed south to Pierce Mill road, we think it was about four miles round trip. There is some discrepancy in the time it took, so we have yet to determine if Pastor Wendy is the cause of the really fast days. My watch said we completed the run in 20:08, whereas Kent's said 41:22. I think the truth is closer to Kent's time, though I may continue to claim having set a five minute mile pace. Kent suffered a brief wardrobe malfunction at the turn around point, but luckily disaster was averted when we noticed the malfunction and Kent was able to re-tie the shoelace in time to prevent the shoe from going in the creek. We also returned to the topic of tow chains, reminding me once again that these Midwesterners have a different style of life than this Southern California girl is used to. All in all training seems to be going well, and we should be tearing up the street of Baltimore in October. Next week I think we're headed back to the mall for another one of those classic "only in DC" runs.

1 comment:

Kent said...

I must admit, when my shoe came untied new ragging rock creek river, I was unsettled. But, with Pastor Wendy and KJ making sure I didn't fall in to the river...I did fix the problem and was able to make it the rest of the fun run...yes, fun run.